Saturday, January 29, 2011

What I've Learned From My Family.

So today was the Installation of Officers at the Lake Shore Volunteer Fire Department (LSVFD).  For me, the LSVFD has been my place for volunteer service for the last 10 years.  My Grandmother who I have such respect for has been involved since the 60's and before that, her father was the first fire chief at LSVFD.  So for me, the fire department is a huge aspect of my life. 

It became alarmingly aware tonight that my Grandmother is one of the most poised and well spoken women I know.  Although I have already know this about her, it was extremely obvious during the evenings festivities.  She knew exactly what to say and when, and even wrote a moving speech.  She makes eye contact and doesn't have long awkward pauses while speaking. 

When speaking with her this evening after the awards were given and everyone was relaxing I told her my thoughts and how inspirational she is.  She then said in return "You're like that too Megan" and I have to say, although it was a short comment that was said in passing, I am honored that she sees me this way.  I know that moving in with my grandparents through a kink in their own plans when I was 13.  I'm sure they were not expecting to raise a 13 year old teenage girl, but they took me in graciously and I am better because of it.  They taught me how to be respectful, responsible, humble, well spoken, and overall a better human being. 

So after reflecting on this small simple comment from my grandmother, and how much pleasure it gave me, I realized that I've learned a lot about life from my family.  And for that, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment