Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Teachable Moment #3...Staying True to Yourself

As I've mentioned, I've planned on using this blog to reflect on the moments where I have learned something, which will hopefully every day.

As a teacher, we're required to give plenty of tests throughout the year.  During my first year of teaching I didn't have a problem with these tests, and my students were on the "bell curve".  This year however, I'm having a harder time looking at the test scores.  I stood there reviewing the grades my students received on a "standardized test" and an overwhelming feeling hit me- "I'm not a good teacher".  I sat there, pondering this statement.  I went to school for this, I have worked hard for this, I've wanted this since I myself was in fifth grade, and now...I'm no good at it?  How could this be?  My mind was reeling with questions and concerns.

I stopped staring at the data and went home from work.  As I was sitting here, wondering what I would write about tonight, I came to the realization that I didn't go into education in order to meet the requirements of data.  I came to this field because I want to make a difference.  The differences I make, especially in a Title I or AAA school, doesn't always mean that it will be academic but possibly social aspects and health aspects.  I feel that I have been able to give these to my students.  I refuse to consume myself with data and will continue to be supportive of my students and do my best to help them towards education and social behavior goals.

So that's what I've learned today.  Hope you learned something too!

No comments:

Post a Comment