Friday, January 21, 2011

Teachable Moment #4...The Power of Bribing...

The title of this post must sound absolutely terrible, I swear I have nothing but the best intentions for my students.  Yesterday, I was talking to my kids and trying to pump them up for their math "benchmark" (standard test) they were going to be taking.  I had them thinking they would get A's, we practiced questions that made them feel comfortable, etc.  I then gave them a goal....

"If 12 out of our 18 students get's better than a 70%, I will give you all extra recess."  Now, I'm not a terrible teacher but I felt they needed an incentive since many of students do not care as much about their grades.  They totally bought into this.  I crossed my fingers in hopes that they were ready to take on such a test. 

Today they took their test. I was extremely worried because of the time constraints that they would not finish (which many of them were done with very little time to spare).  After school we graded their BCR's (egh) which didn't seem terrible suprisingly enough.  When all was said and done, I had 3 students who had less than 70% (and nobody got below a D), which means 15 of my students received higher than a 70%!!!  I'm so proud of them and their accomplishments.  This made it a good day to be a teacher.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment